PORTLAND, Ore. 05/18/2023 — Eisner Award winning writer Kelly Thompson (Black Cloak, Captain Marvel) and superstar artist Mattia De Iulis (Captain America) team up for their first creator-owned work together in the upcoming horror/coming-of-age story The Cull. This five issue miniseries is set to launch in August from Image Comics.
This exciting launch will also feature variant covers by such top talents as Lorenzo Ceccotti, Michael Walsh, Andrew J. Seles, Chris Shehan, Meredith Mcclaren, Dike Ruan, and Tula Lotay.
"When Mattia reached out to partner on something creator-owned together, I was over the moon," said Thompson. "What we came up with for The Cull is both horrifying and delightful, and of course stunningly gorgeous thanks to Mattia's mind-blowing visuals."
Something is Killing the Children horror vibes mix with The Goonies-style adventure as five friends set off to shoot a short film on a forbidden rock near their home the summer before they all go their separate ways. But that’s not really why they’re there. One of them has lied… and it’s a lie that will change their lives forever.
Mattia De Iulis added: "I made my debut as a comic book artist with Kelly (on Jessica Jones), and I can't believe I'm here now after five years working on the most beautiful project I could ever imagine! The Cull grabbed me inside from the first pages, horror and mystery come together to create a fantastic adventure!"
The Cull #1 will be available at comic book shops on Wednesday, August 16:
- Cover A by Mattia De Iulis - Diamond Code JUN230033
- Cover B by Lorenzo Ceccotti - Diamond Code JUN230034
- Cover C by Michael Walsh - Diamond Code JUN230035
- Cover D by Andrew J. Seles - Diamond Code JUN230036
- Cover E by Chris Shehan - Diamond Code JUN230037
- Cover F (1:10) by Meredith Mcclaren - Diamond Code JUN230038
- Cover G (1:25) by Dike Ruan - Diamond Code JUN230039
- Cover H (1:50) by Tula Lotay - Diamond Code JUN230040
The Cull will also be available across many digital platforms, including Amazon Kindle, Apple Books, and Google Play.